Camp Staff – PA State Required Clearances
For all Camp Staff Employees as well as CIT’s (Starting at age 14)
Let’s get started
- You will need a credit card or a debit card works great.
- The total cost for this process is $47.50
- This breaks down as $10 for the state police, $10 for Department of Human Services, and $27.50 for FBI fingerprinting.
- If you have difficulties with this please contact Mike Manner – Mike.Manner@Scouting.org
1) Pennsylvania State Police (PASP)
You can click the link bellow to go to the website or type or copy and paste
- Hopefully you’re looking at a screen that has handcuffs and a computer on it.
- From here on we will be using numbered steps to guide us. When the number changes it should be a new page, Letters below numbers means its all on that same page.
1. Click the “Submit a New Record Check” blue link near the top of the page.
2. nice long legal “Terms and Conditions”. Read it and hit Accept
3. Personal Info for who is making the check, not necessarily who the check is on.
4. Who is getting the background check.
a. Type in the data they need and hit “enter this request”
b. Oh no the data’s gone! no its not. Notice the “one request pending” part?
c. Families you can put in the next person needed checked now. just keep
entering data and hitting the “enter this request” button
d. when you are done entering everyone click the “finished button”
5. List all record checks they going to do and give you a total @$10 per. Click “submit”
6. Pay for it with a credit card. Click “next” when done
7. Double check info and Click “submit”
8. Write down control number
9. Should it log you out and say session expired click “check the status of a record
10. Type in control number and info
11. Once you have a result (hopefully a no record) click the control number
a. If the status is "Request Under Review" it will take from two to four weeks for the status to be updated to "No Record" or "Record". "No Record" status
should be printed out at your printer. "Record" status will be mailed to you.
“Pending” means go eat a sandwich and come back later.
12. Click certification form
13. Click the print button. might need to format it some on a case by case basis
14. Send it into Flag
2) Pennsylvania Department of Human Services or PDOHS.
1. “Create new account” families will only need one account as you can submit multiple from one account.
2. Read that stuff. Click “next”
3. Come up with a username and security questions click finished
4. Check your email. Your temp password is in the second one they send you. copy it
5. In the first email click “child welfare portal” link
6. Will open new window click “log in” click “access my clearances”
7. Read that legal stuff click “continue”
8. Enter your username and paste that ridiculous password they sent you click “log in”
9. Change your password to something less complex (still needs a lot of stuff) hit submit.
10. Get a drink of water (stay hydrated)
11. Window will refresh and take you back to the log in
a. log in with new password
12. Read the terms and conditions click the “I have read" bubble and then “next”
13. Read stuff again. click “continue”
14. Click "create clearance application"
15. Read more stuff. click begin
16. Select the following from all the options:
"Individual 14 years of age or older who is applying for or holding a paid position as an employee with a program, activity or service, as a person responsible for the child's welfare or having direct contact with children: Applying as an employee who is responsible for the child's welfare or having direct contact (providing care, supervision, guidance or control to children or having routine interaction with children) in any of the following in which children participate and which is sponsored by a school or a public or private organization:
A youth camp or program;
A recreational camp or program;
A sports or athletic program;
A community or social outreach program;
An enrichment or educational program; and
A troop, club or similar organization"
17. Fill out the info they need. hit next
18. Fill out the address part you will select if you want a copy mailed to you as well
19. Take a stretch break and get another drink.
20. Previous addresses since 1975 (college kids and military families good luck)
21. Household members since 1975 (Always put your parents in, you can leave there age blank if they are desist.)
22. Double check your work click “next”
23. Check the box and “sign” it, click “next”
24. No payment code is being given out. hit no then make a payment
25. Type in data about your plastic money
26. Hit the finalize and submit application
27. They will email you when it clears. Mine took all of 45 seconds.
28. Follow the links in your email (probably logging in again) and click “your application has been processed”
29. This will open a download window. save it and open it.
30. Print it send it into Flag Plaza
3) The FBI Fingerprinting
1. Click “Register Online” (right column second row down under Registration.
2. fill out yellow boxes on the form
a. ignore the…
i. tick box about fingerprint card –unless you are not in Pennsylvania
ii. agency id, address – leave blank
b. select “employment with significant likelihood of regular contact with
c. put in more info Lots of it
d. hit “next” when done
3. Verify the stuff you typed hit “next”
4. Tell them how you will be paying and hit pay
5. Print the receipt.
a. there is a link that will show you where you can go to get
Fingerprinted (the blue here)
6. it’s a map of PA! Find the best place for you and go there.
7. You will need to bring with you the receipt and your driver's license (picture ID). If you are under age, bring your school ID. Bring your Social Security card and or your birth certificate also. They will need to confirm your ID before they fingerprint you.
8. The actual fingerprinting process is digital now, so enjoy not having ink on
your hands. The person there will help you get fingerprinted.
9. Expect a response in 10 days. Make sure you mail items in to Flag Plaza by June 1.
* Send this form in until you receive your Clearances: PA Disclosure Statement for Employees. (You have 90 days as long as you have this form turned in at the completion of all the clearances to start work).
Any Question: Contact Mike Manner Mike.Manner@scouting.org