Car Dimension Rules
• The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
• The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
• The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
• The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the track.
Derby Car Weight Rules
• The car shall not exceed 5.0 ounces.
• The official race scale that is used at car check-in shall be considered final.
Car Modifications Not Allowed
• The official pine wood block must be used. The block may be shaped in any way that is desired.
• Official BSA wheels must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may remove the seams and imperfections from the wheels.
• The axles may be altered, polished and lubricated.
Other Pinewood Derby Race Rules
• Once a car passes inspection and is entered into the race, only race committee members can touch it.
• If the car loses a wheel, or is otherwise damaged, the racer shall have 5 minutes to make repairs.
• Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete.
• The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these rules.
Car Body / Dimensions
Wheel Base : Wheels must be attached to axles in located in original axle grooves.
Height : Not to exceed 3" inches...
Length : Not to exceed 7" inches...
Width : Not to exceed 2-3/4" inches...
Weight : Not to exceed 5.0 ounces (143 grams) measured on 1/10th digital scale
Additional materials maybe added as long as they meet the rules
4 BSA Axles & BSA Wheels must be installed to the side of the car body directly across from one another / No more than a 45 degree angle
a. Minimum diameter .084
b. Axles must have a nail head
Only BSA Wheels are permitted.
a. May be CnCed, lathed, polished and/or sanded to true the edge of tread, surface and circumference
b. The tread / contact surface must remain flat and parallel to the bore as humanly possible
c. No Angling, Reshaping, Canting, Round Crowning, Tapering, H-ing, V-ing, Dishing, the outside of the wheels and/or tread surface
d. Lettering must remain visible on the inside and outside of the wheel.
e. Wheel covers may be used only if entire wheel is visible
f. 7.50mm Minimum Tread Width
The following Modifications are not allowed
a. Starting or finish line devices
b. Electronic or lighting devices
c. Glass or extremely fragile parts
d. Paint that is wet, smudges or extremely sticky
e. Bearings and/or Bushings
f. Sharp objects, sandpaper or abrasives on the bottom of car (We do not want any damage to the rubber stopping pads)
g. Axles and/or wheels attached to any device that mechanically or alters rotation and spin
h. Any part of the car to go beyond the starting peg before the peg is completely lowered.