Boy Scouting provides a series of surmountable obstacles and steps in overcoming them through the advancement method. The Boy Scout plans his advancement and progresses at his own pace as he meets each challenge. The Boy Scout is rewarded for each achievement, which helps him gain self-confidence. The steps in the advancement system help a Boy Scout grow in self-reliance and in the ability to help others.
Visit the National Council website for the most current information about advancement requirements and awards.
Eagle Scout Rank Verification Process
Approved by the Council Advancement committee 5-18-15 for trial use in Flag Plaza region, all other districts will continue to process applications through their satellite field offices.
- The candidate will send a scanned copy of the Eagle Application and Eagle Service Project Workbook, and Statement of Ambition for Verification. If issues are found during the verification an email will be sent back with instructions. All emails are to be sent with a delivery and read receipt to Carol.King@Scouting.org
- Once the Eagle Application is verified a signed scanned copy will be sent back to the original email address and CC’ed to the appropriate District Advancement Chairman and a follow up phone call made to the candidate.
- When the complete verification is received the unit/scout will contact the District Advancement Chairman to exchange information and schedule the Board of Review. REMEMBER THERE SHOULD BE NO unreasonable WAIT FOR REFERENCES.
- After the Board of Review, materials will be returned to the candidate. The unit/scout will then deliver the Eagle Application and the advancement form in person or by registered mail to Carol King in Pittsburgh. Please make sure that the candidate keeps a copy for their records.
- Once the original Eagle application has been received at Flag Plaza, Verification will be signed on the original application and forward the to the Scout Executive for the Final Signature.
- After the Scout Executive signs the application and gives final approval, the application will be put on file until credentials arrive from the National Office.
- When credentials arrive a post card will be sent to the individual listed on the Eagle Application.
- When credentials are picked up they must be signed for.
Merit Badge Counselor List (MCB)
The Laurel Highlands Council is moving to a centralized management of the Merit Badge Counselor List. This process will take some time to complete by we plan to have the lists completed by end of 2015.
Please continue to use your current list until otherwise notified.
- Each district will submit their merit badge counselor list to the council for updating. Lists can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Districts will still be responsible for vetting and approving all merit badge counselors by the following process:
- Accepting “ONLY” the MBC Application
- The District will then check qualifications of the individual and approve or deny the application.
- The District will then return the application to applicant and instruct him/her to submit it to Flag Plaza with an adult application and all the required clearances and Youth Protection Training.
- Once council approved, the information will be forwarded to the Council Merit Badge Dean for addition to the council merit badge counselor list (Double Knot).
- The Council Merit Badge Dean will then notify the individual that he/she can begin merit badge work.
- The MBC list will categorized as follows.
- In unit only
- Council Wide
- The list will be managed through the double knot MBC system and available to the entire council electronically.
District Advancement Chairs will have access to the list and be the point person for distribution.